Monday, October 27, 2008

Random Thoughts

1) While watching tonight's Buffalo Sabre game I noticed that they have kept the old Sabre logo at center ice. The old logo brings back so many fond memories..Gil Perreault winding up and splitting the defense..a Rick Martin slapshot...Roger Crozier and his aching pancreas....the smell of the Aud's bathrooms....well, maybe not that. The old logo should have remained the Sabre's logo. The crest of the charging buffalo with the 2 crossed sabres underneath is simple and so ...pleasing to the eye. The new logo reminds me too much of a banana slug. Since when does a buffalo have a yellow head???? If the Islander fans can manage to get their old logo back, though I did sort of like the old man and the sea look of the new logo, we can get ours back! Tom Golisano....Give us our old logo back!!!
2) Remember, we morons are unionized and we should be proud of our ideas and always sign our comments. Remember that oh great members of Amalgamated Morons 6 & 7/8ths.
3) Can't the Bills build on anything good? They beat San Diego and then go down to Miami and lay an egg. Trent, you are going to be a great QB but please do not hand the ball off to Joey Porter. He is the enemy. He was wearing teal and white while you were wearing blue and red. I hope he learned a valuable lesson. Robert Royal will certainly not get my vote on the 4th. Nice game Robert oh master of the hands of stone.
4) It was good to see the Town of Gates leaf pickup patrol out at last. I had 4 weeks of leaves out by the road and no room to put nature's newest batch that needed to be raked up. I am hesitant to rake and bring them out because the area of my lawn is now distressed and very yellow. Usually these guys are great and have picked up two or three times by now...Oh well, hopefully they will be around sooner next time.
5) Once in a while the good old USA can show the world it can build something that lasts. Confidence in the economy...nope.......keeping other countries as our friends....not looking so hot at this time...I am talking about our two rovers on Mars named Spirit and Opportunity. They were built to last 90 days and now are approaching 5 years of service on the red planet. Continuing to operate and send us usable science they are a proud statement to American technology. We need to build upon this and show the world we can continue to lead in technological fields, especially now when we need it to conquer our dependence on foreign oil. Congratulations rovers and I wish you many more years of service. PS: Opportunity is now being directed to take a seven and a half mile drive to another crater. Incredible.

2 comments:

repoman said...

I, too liked the old logo.

My fondest Sabres memories go back to 1980. The Sabres were super. Perrault was the only remaining member of the French Connection but Danny Gare had scored over 50 goals. Van Boxmeer and Lindy Ruff were in their primes.

Standing room tix were $6.00. The big beers were $1.50. We used to hang over the railing in the upper deck and go nuts. The Sabres lost a double OT game to the Islanders in the playoffs that was one of the greatest games I ever saw...until the Islanders scored the game winner. I never "heard" silence like that, before or since.

I was sad to hear that the Aud is coming down. Progress?

King Dinglefritz's Blog of Moronica said...

I remember when I bought a friends Friday games from his season tickets. They were beautiful seats at only $12 a whack. I had the rail in front so I could set my beer down, relax and enjoy. I remember one of Gilbert Perreault's last games. It was against Vancouver. He started from behind his own goal right in fromnt of me, skated through the Canucks and deftly potted the goal. The crowd went NUTS!! Little did I know he would retire a few weeks later.