Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Lanes that Time Forgot

Well, Your King now has an aching shoulder and a desire to rant like a raving maniac. A while back I wrote that I was talked into bowling this year at Spencerport Lanes. There was talk of new this, new that and the new other things. Well, what was true is that they did get a new oiling machine but, after so many weeks, still don't know how to use it. I finally found out a couple of weeks ago that they finally decided to read the manual. I wonder what gave them that idea that reading the manual might help. Still the shot there blows. After last night's fiasco my shoulder feels like it needs a transplant. All I want to do is to be able to throw a ball nice and easy, give it the proper fingers and watch what happens. I would rather not have to, at my age, heave the piss out of it. I hurt my shoulder five years ago pitching fast pitch softball and it took months for it to feel better and it is getting to the point where I would like to be able to use it normally for another 30 plus years. After having it ache like it did today maybe I had better rethink my desire to get back to be the bowler I was back in 2003.
Walking through the doors at Spencerport is like walking into the Time Tunnel and going back into time. Back to the time of Bedrock where Fred and Barney heaved their 'balls' down the lanes with pterodactyls resetting the pins after each shot. That is exactly what we have here. The place even has Fred and Barney type bowlers too but, then again, every place has them. The pterodactyls are still very ornery and only work when they want to. Nothing like watching the clock tick away as they try to get the bloody thing back to work again. Oh well.
The place has sapped my desire to play this silly game. I used to look forward to my three games a week, now I dread them. My will to excel is usually gone by the end of the first game but yesterday it was gone by the middle of practice. The ball either skated or reacted early. I tried moving outside a bit, then inside a bit, changed the speed a bit but in the end I ended up just heaving the bloody thing. Ugh.
I was hoping to bowl elsewhere this year but that fell through much to my chagrin. That was too bad as I know at the other place I could have rolled the ball nice and easy, still giving it the proper amount of lift, and scored well. But noooo, I must be a glutton for punishment. I must hate myself. Maybe I should check myself into the R-wing at Strong and have them run some tests, but then again if I do they might not let me out.
I miss the days when I used to bowl in Geneseo and Caledonia with my friends. I had a good time. Even when Kenny put out a crap shot I still had a good time because even though the shot was crap you had to work hard and make the proper adjustments and you could still score. The thing is that I never had to heave the ball. I miss the trips to the ABC Bowling Tournament that one of my friends would schedule every May. It was a week of fun. Maybe now that the Queen is with the Burger King I might try to get back into that yearly trip...that is if I do not need a new shoulder by that time but only time will tell as I look forward to next week's trip to The Lanes that Time Forgot.
Have a nice evening! Your King.

No comments: