Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Your King finally gets a Driver

No, not the chauffeur type of driver, which your King really does deserve, but a Taylor Made Burner Driver. I had been happy teeing off with my three wood off most of the tees but I have always been a big bomber and not having a driver in my bag was like a festering wound that was not getting any better. Well, it seems as though in every Sunday paper Dick's Sporting Goods Store ad they always had these on sale for about half price and this past weekend I just could not stand it anymore. So I went out and bought one. I hit a few balls in the test room at the store for a bit and I liked the way the club felt so after some deep thought, well for me its never too deep, I decided it was time to pull the trigger and I brought it home.
I drove down to Geneseo this past Sunday and played with my usual group, I did not have any intention of using the club unless I was struggling and only on the back nine. It was funny as when I pulled the clubs out of my car my friend Auggie saw what I had and commented "I see you bought a stupid stick" meaning the new driver. Yeah, I broke down and finally got one I told him. They tried to get me to use it off the first tee but I decided not too, as I said I did not want to pull it out of the bag unless I was struggling since I passed on going to the driving range to test it the night before. Maybe I should have because my first shot was a classic duff job that went fifty yards into the left rough. Ugh. That drive was a definite sign as to how my round was going to go. By the seventh hole, after severely stinking out the course, I finally said "OK time to give the new club a try". I took it out and teed the ball up extra high, as you are supposed to, as it is an over sized club and swung. I hit a perfectly straight drive, into the wind down the center of the fairway. My golfing partner Jim said "your not going to want to take that club back" and I just smiled as it turned out he was going to be right. On the eighth tee, after parring number seven, there was a slow down as the group in front of us decided to become a bunch of Tincups. This allowed some the other members of my grouping was able to catch up and they were there to behold shot number two. With a slight breeze behind it, the ball went longer and just as straight as the first shot with the new driver did. The others could not believe how far it went and there jaws dropped when they saw where it finally ended up. I calculated that it went about 330 yards. Not bad! I hit a nice half sand wedge to the green and then proceeded to let my putter ruin a nice hole. I used to be a very good putter but that part of my game is the slowest to come back and it is killing me. I shot 95 for 18 holes but my putter killed me on most holes. My chipping is getting better but I still have some interesting adventures with the wedges in my bag. My journey into the trees behind the green on hole five is an example of that after a beautiful drive.
The driver continued to be straight an true for the rest of the day so it looks like it will be a keeper. Thank you Taylor Made! But then again, if you see a Taylor Made Niblet putter wrapped around a tree it is probably mine.
PS: I also guaranteed dry weather for the remainder of my Sunday golf adventures as I bought a pair of rain gloves to use during what seems to be the constant rotten weather we have had every Sunday morning. It worked perfectly as this Sunday was very nice but quite warm and I figured that buying those gloves would be like washing your car as you know that will guarantee that it will rain again soon.
PSS: I still hate the Queen's tattoo.
PSSS: I cannot believe Brett Favre is back again. What is he...a Battling Top????

No comments: