Friday, January 9, 2009

Do they feed their hockey players in Ottawa?

I was mildy amused to see the video of Ottawa Senator Jarko Ruutu snacking on the thumb of Buffalo Sabre Jason Peters. First of all was Peters' reaction as Ruutu chomped down on it. Now we all know that the average hockey player has as many teeth in their mouth as Popeye the Sailorman has so it surprised me that it bothered Peters at all. It was funny to see him skating around shaking his hand and looking at his thumb and then showing it to the referee like a little kid would show a boo boo to his mother. What really gets me is that Peters was the only player to get a penalty during that altercation, maybe it was for unsportsmanlike conduct for acting like his hand was shot. I checked the rule book and I did not see any penalties listed for gumming an opponent so, of course since he was not a Sabre, Mr. Ruutu got off scott free.
Now, if he was that hungry it leads me to ask the question "do they feed their players in Ottawa?" I do not know what the NHL players contract has in it for teams to feed, or provide money to feed, their players but it was obvious that Mr. Ruutu needed a snack. He saw Peter's thumb as a tasty morsel(pig) wrapped in a blanket(his glove) and took the opportunity to have a bite when he had the chance. Personally, I would have passed up that type of snack. The last thing I would want in my mouth is another hockey players piece of equipment. Playing soccer in college I had the occasion to share my locker room area with the hockey teams overflow players. The smell of the equipment was something to behold and cannot be described in this column using acceptable language.
Buffalo has a lot of nice places for a team to go for a pregame meal. After all it is the home of Chicken Wings(which, come to think of it a wing is about the size of Peter's thumb). Could the team's manager not find a place to take them? OR were they being really cheap??
Dinglefritz had a chance to interview Mr. Ruutu on the phone the other day in regards to his illfated snacking but I cannot transcribe any of that conversation because Mr. Ruutu made Caroline Kennedy sound like Daniel Patrick Moynihan. After the third 'you know' in the first sentence I had to hang up the phone.
The NHL did take action and suspended Mr. Ruutu 2 games for being unsanitary in his choice of foodstuffs. Lets hope the next time Ottawa visits they take the time to feed their players so they do not try to feed on ours.

No comments: