Friday, January 30, 2009

The Incredible Shrinking Food

Lately I have noticed something that has been bothering me quite a bit . Tonight I went shopping for a few items so I could make myself a nice spicy Chinese dinner. At one of my stops I noticed a fresh sourdough boule in the bread rack. Now Dinglefritz has a soft spot in his heart..I mean stomach for boule type breads, sourdough, and Neo Tuscan are my favorites. Tonight I just have to say something. In a short span of time the size of these loaves has shrunk by at least 1/3rd and the price has either remained the same or has gone up. This is moronica in epic proportions. Its one thing to slightly shrink the bloody thing but to shrink it so that it is so noticeable?? I know companies are hurting but to charge $3.59 for a piece of bread that is slightly larger than a softball is ludicrous.
I have also noticed other things shrinking as well. I always had my morning pop tart at work but even these silly things have shrunk. Everything seems to be shrinking, well except for my belly but that's for a later blog.
People work hard for their money and they deserve a fair shake. While I have not been out to eat to often lately I know there are some restaurants that still offer an honest value. Fratelli's in Lakeville is one. Even I could not finish my more than ample portions of delicious fish and pasta and I had to bring it home where it served me well again the next night. I have heard the fish fry at Martino's is a sight to behold and the size of a whale but now I am really digressing and getting very hungry.
If there is some way to raise a stink about the incredible shrinking food we should do it. It is moronic to spend the same amount of money or more to end up getting 2/3rds of what you used to enjoy. It seems food is shrinking faster than today's job market. I wish my gut would shrink as quickly.
PS: Did anyone see the disappointment in Channel 10's weatherman Kevin William's eyes when he was talking about the potential Nor'easter that may head up the coast on Tuesday? He said the models are now predicting it to be farther east and less of a factor in producing snow for us. He genuinely looked sad. But his eyes did perk up when he said they could be wrong. He is a peach.

1 comment:

repoman said...

Kevin just loves bad weather!