Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fifth Inductee into the Moronica Hall of Fame

I told you the inductions were going to be coming fast and furiously in the next few weeks, now if we only had a building to house their busts to honor them. Maybe someday but I digress. The newest inductee to the Moronica Hall of fame is better known as the Milli-Vanilli of the survival-outdoors TV show hosts. A couple of years ago his survival show appeared on the Discovery Channel and one of his claims he made in the opening credits was that he did not receive help from his camera crew, well that lid was blown off as we discovered that he has had plenty of help from his camera crew. His older shows have now been re-edited to note this and his newest shows acknowledge this fact. It has also been discovered that when we thought he was out braving the elements on a harsh night in the woods he was actually in a nice warm hotel room until morning. While I do not express doubt about his knowledge of survival, his show while entertaining, was shown to be a sham until the re-editing. This man is Bear Grylls.
Bear has a history by which he should be proud of, being in the British Special forces, climbing Mt. Everest and other feats but to try to pull the wool over our eyes in his show was highly moronic. At least now he admits that he has had help and in the Scotland episode he freely admits, and the more I think about it the more I believe it was edited in after its first showing, in the narration and I will try to briefly try to paraphrase him 'that while I will not be spending the night out here I will show you how to'. I can also survive quite nicely throwing a few sticks together knowing that I will be soon eating a nice hot meal in the local hotel.
There was no need for Bear to do this. If he was open right from the beginning I would have a lot more respect for him and still would have enjoyed his show just as much. Now when I watch his show it leaves me wondering and thinking funny comments to myself about his situation and that is a shame. Like when he is supposed to be eating some kind of snake, maybe the camera guy slips him a tasty flank steak to cook and he cuts it up to look like snake. Who knows.
Sorry Bear, but Les Stroud you are not. Les is out by himself for 7 days without a camera crew. Les has to lug 55 pounds of camera gear around wherever he goes, Bear does not. Bear has let me down and this fact sealed his induction into the MHOF. If you happen to see Bear, and last I knew he was in hospital after falling down and getting a boo boo to his shoulder in Antarctica, please let him know of this induction and the honor that has been bestowed upon him.

No comments: