Saturday, November 10, 2012

King Returns to the Links

Prepare to be bored my fans but I need to write about stuff to keep my fingers loose and trigger the creative juices for more interesting items:
After a four week break, thanks to my aching back and crappy weather, your King has finally returned to the golf course. One thing my aching back is doing is making me re-invent my game a bit and it seems to be working for now. When I first hurt my back five weeks ago it got quite a better so I played the following weekend but it started hurting after a few holes. Hmm, maybe the hour and a half delay, sitting and waiting for the frost to melt playing cards, had something to do with it. By the seventh hole I tried a new strategy after playing like shazit and that was to control my swing and not be the free swinger that I love being. After rejecting going home at the turn, sobbing after looking at a score well into the fifties, I marched on. Even with my painful back I had a pretty good back nine, thanks to a very, very cooperative putter. I hit the ball shorter but I hit it straight and shot a 45. Maybe I was on to something.
Today I focused on playing within myself and not trying to hit the shazit out of the ball. For the most part it worked, even with the few clunker shots that was expected after my long layoff. My drives were usually in the fairway and my short game was much better than normal. I shot an 89 and it could have been much, much better. I did not three putt a single green but I could not get putts to drop for me with the exception of my 15 foot birdie putt on 14. While I did not give myself too many birdie opportunities today I did give myself plenty of makeable par putts. Too bad I couldn't coax a few more to drop for me but tap ins are nice...especially on the nerves. Time will tell if I stick with my new style when my back is completely pain free and loose or will I revert to the 'kill the ball' King that gets oohs from the crowd when I hit it straight...which isn't often enough. I am looking forward to playing again on Sunday, back willing, in what may well be the nicest day of the month. It does not hit 70 too often in this dreary month of November so when you have the chance, enjoy it!! Get out and play you duffers!!!
More on golf. I do not know if I reported this but your King did shoot a 77 earlier in the year. I have that card sitting on my dresser in my bedroom so I can continue to try to convince myself that I can still play this game well.
I know my friends..ENOUGH of this golf crap already!!! So I will end this nonsense now. Have a happy!

No comments: