Sunday, November 13, 2011

KING WINS!!! Well, Sort of.....

I guess I lied last week when I said that I had played my last round of golf. Mother Nature graced us with another nice weekend in this month of November. And we all know that November can be one of the gloomiest months in this neck of the woods. I played Saturday and had a rather consistent round with nothing special except for a birdie on fourteen. My score to hit right now is seventeen points and I ended up plus one, which for me at this time of year is not bad. Hondo won as he was the birdie king that day.
Sunday started out to be a nightmare. I looked like a monkey trying to hump a football on the front nine. Trying to again score seventeen points I ended up with a paltry four points at the turn. It was a pretty sad effort as I provided a lot of comic relief to my partners. Big Dave, needing to score 18 points made the turn at twelve so I was hopelessly behind.
Signs that my round may have been turning around began on eleven. It is a short par three and I ended up putting my tee shot into the deep vegetables well off to the right side of the green. After looking for it for a couple of minutes I finally found its hiding spot. It was well buried in the weeds but hittable. Not being able to take a practice shot I swung at it hard and popped it onto the green. Still made a bogey but I scored a point with a miracle shot. I played the very tough twelve well but threw away a par when I missed a short 6 footer. After butchering 13 I stood at seven points and pretty much had written off my last round of the year as a disaster.
Then it happened, a rally that is comparable to the Bills' comeback versus the Oilers many moons ago. I parred fourteen after missing a short birdie putt barely wide left. Parred my nemesis hole of the year number fifteen with a great eight foot putt and then, after getting my point total up to eleven the fireworks happened. Birdied sixteen for four big points and then parred seventeen for two even bigger points which, in itself, was a complete miracle as it is a very long par four playing into a very strong wind. I had cut Big Dave's lead down to two points. We both hit good tee shots on eighteen though mine did go about 40 yards farther. we both put our second shots just off the back of the green. I was only a foot off while Big Dave was about two yards off. He hit a brilliant chip shot to within tap in distance and got his par putting me down by four points. I was next facing a twenty five foot putt from off the green needing a four point birdie to tie him for the win. With what could only be described as a miracle, by the grace of the golf gods, I put my putt dead center of the cup and escaped the round with a plus four point total tieing Big Dave and splitting the pot with him!! I played the last five holes at 2 under par(should have been three) and scored fourteen huge points. I finished the round with a ninety with nine round scores of 51-39.  But the bird on eighteeen puts the big smile on my face that will last throughout this entire long winter we now have to suffer through. I look forward to April, hopefully, and a fresh golf season.
Also scored big by finding at least six nice Titleist Pro-V1 balls amongst the leaves this weekend. At four bucks a whack that almost paid for my rounds. I will mark them as my own and will probably give them back to the golf course gods early next year knowing me.
Now I know that my valued readers, all one or two of you, could give a hoot about my golf game but I enjoy writing about it as it does give my two fingers some exercise. This is your King thanking you for suffering through the reading of my golf crap. I promise more interesting stuff with my next pontification. Have a nice evening!

No comments: