Sunday, November 20, 2011

Your King Attends Rochester Lancer Game and Other Things

Believe it or not your King dragged his ass, incognito of course, out of Moronica last night to go see Rochester's newest indoor soccer team play the Syracuse Silver Knights at the Blue Cross Arena. One of the attractions was that they inducted several members of the old Lancer outdoor team from the seventies into the wall of fame. It was good to see Dragan Popovic, Branko Segota and others back. Dragan was probably the greatest soccer coach that any Rochester soccer team ever had and that includes Pat Ercoli of the Rhinos.
The game turned out to be a lot of fun to watch. It was fast paced and there was plenty of scoring. The Lancers jumped out to a big halftime lead with a balanced attack. In the second half Syracuse tried to whittle away at the lead and actually made a game of it late in the fourth quarter but the Lancers put the game away with a couple of late goals and won the game 22-13. All in all it was quite entertaining and it would have been nicer to see a few more fannies in the seats but the crowd size was pretty much as I expected. I wish them luck.

I had a good chuckle reading the sports page of the Buffalo News this morning and I have to relay a quote from the Hockey section that made me laugh. It was by former goon Georges Laraque from his days with the Edmonton Oilers. He definitely shows his disdain for country music here. "All they talk about is 'I left my girlfriend and she left me or my horse is dying.' How can you get revved up for a game listening to crap like that?" That reminded your King of the two plus years he spent in Utah. Every station was country and the radios in the warehouse were all tuned to KKAT, the biggest local country station in the Salt Lake area. OMG that drove me nuts and that is the reason I spent most of my time in the freezer, to get away from crap like that. Georges Laraque is a kindred soul!!

Yesterday's blog said I survived, Well, I went to bed last night feeling quite good but when waking up this morning I truly felt my age. I was stiffer than a board but I really did not hurt, much. I guess that is sort of a good sign so maybe it is time to ramp up the exercise. The next weekend looks like there will be more bonus golf as the temperature looks to be well into the fifties again. This is helping to make up for the rotten spring we had here and also helping me not to miss bowling. I am surely done doing that and am looking for a way to ditch my equipment. I would love to drop my balls into either the canal or the river or by dropping them into the gorge at Letchworth Park but knowing my luck someone will report me. My friend Auggie took one of his balls and cooked it in a bonfire. Maybe I will do that to one of them in my fire pit. That would be a hoot.
Well that is all for today my friends. If you have a chance to go to a Lancer game do it. It is a good time. Until my next spouting of garbage I wish all of my friends and readers a fine day!!

No comments: