Saturday, February 11, 2012

FORE!!!! Route 390 Closed As They Let The Snow Play Through.

Your King decided to take a road trip down to the Dome Arena in Henrietta today, incognito of course, to visit the Golf Expo that was being held there. It was a tad disappointing as most of the boothes were either golf courses advertising themselves or charities trying to get donations. There were maybe four good areas where you could peruse a goodly amount of golf equipment so I spent some time in them looking at the merchandise. I really only need a few items, some I wish that Santa will bring me on February 29, but what I really wanted was a new gap/sand wedge. I found what I was looking for in one of the sales areas so I bought it. It is a 52 degree Cleveland C-15 wedge. Cleveland wedges are supposed to be one of the top of the line models and it replaces the piece of crap sand wedge that I had. It may take some getting used to as I expect this club to enhance any spin I put on the ball thereby increasing hold on the green and eliminating the BOING factor. It was rather pricey but still a lot cheaper than buying it at Dicks.
Now, the weather today was rather poor when I headed down to Henrietta and travel was a bit slower as we finally had a visit from Old Man Winter. Coming back from the Expo was rather interesting. I found that the entrance to Route 390 North was blocked off at the 390/590 split. I figured that there must be an accident somewhere so I went up 590 and crossed the city using 490 to return to Moronica. When I stopped at the sub shop to grab a bite for lunch I asked a gentleman if he knew what happened on 390. He told me that he heard that they shut it down at the airport to prevent another mass pileup, which involved over thirty vehicles, like the one they had in that area a couple of years ago. Now that is all well and good but are they going to do this every time it snows in Rochester??? A few years ago they built a mini tunnel around the airport in that area which raised the ground level next to the expressway on the airport side considerably. Due to the stupidity and lack of foresight of the designers mother nature now uses this increased elevation as its own runway to send snow flying across the expressway. During a wind driven snow this area has become one of the most dangerous stretches of road in New York. The stretch of expressway involved is only about 300 yards long but when the snow is blowing that part of the road can have visibility instantly reduced to zero even though on either side of the stretch the visibility is fine. They tried installing one of those cheap orange snow fences to try to alleviate this problem but that fence is a complete failure. I have watched the snow just fly over, and thumb its nose at, it when it was blowing and you can tell that it presented no obstacle to the snow. The designers of this airport mini tunnel 'improvement' should be enshrined into my Moronica Hall of Fame so if you know who designed this marvel please let me know. These designers are probably the same folks that design residential developments right next to rivers.
The one thing that would alleviate this problem that I would recommend would be to plant some bushy trees, pines probably, that would grow to about twenty feet along the 300 yard length of the expressway. That begs to ask if these bushy trees will interfere with airport operations? It is a big question as that would be the only way to protect the users of the expressway from this hazard but you do not want replace one hazard and create one for planes by doing this. It is sort of a catch twenty-two as they only real answer is to dig up that tunnel and return that area to the way it was. But nobody is going to do that.

No comments: